The Kilimanjaro Association
Of Tour Operators (KIATO) is an association registered
in year 2003, May 23rd, with Ministry of Industry and
Trade pursuant to the Companies Ordinance (CAP.212),
Licensed under Section 19(1) on condition that it is
limited by guarantee and not by shares.
KIATO is an
association of local tourist agents based in the
Northern Zone, Kilimanjaro Region in particular.
By hiring a KIATO member company for your mountain climb, you are assured that they adhere to the following guidelines:
- Proper treatment of porters and other crew
- Proper pay for porters and other crew in compliance with agreement between the concerned parties.
- The tour company will see that porters are properly clothed.
- The tour company will give proper meals, two or thee meals per day.
- The tour company will make sure porters carry not more than 25kgs in total (clients' and porter's personal gear cumulative).
- The tour company will enter into contract with porters hired /engaged and should be paid shortly after return from the trip and not
to be hired and paid through guide(s).
- The tour company will make sure that tips are paid by clients directly to all crew instead of giving it to office or guide(s)
to distribute to the crew.
- The tour company will provide porters with transport, shelter, medication and accord park entry fees.
KIATO works to educate and lead members tour companies to adhere to regulations and guidelines and
consequently meet international IMEC standards hence get registered and linked to its website in order to be accorded recognition by reputable foreign tour
Adherence to these policies is important to KIATO. If you witness any violation of these policies, please let us know as soon as possible.